Sooo…Easter is over now and I am only just coming down off the Sugar Mountain Summit I scaled on that day of indulgence. If you’re like me, you spent the day telling yourself you deserve a treat and to just relax and enjoy yourself on this special holiday -but let’s face it, the truth is, *and it’s ugly*…. this is just code for….”It’s ok to eat 14 chocolate eggs and 2 slices of cake cause it’s Easter. Oh, and you better shove one of those Irish Cookie Bombs everyone’s raving about into your face pronto, before you come to your senses” Oops, did I just say that out loud? Yup. Surely you know what I’m talkin bout? Don’t pretend you’re all innocent! Please.Send.Help.
Despite what your’re thinking, I do have a smidgen of self-control. Really. I do. Maybe. Depends.
Well, an-ee-way, I have been good so far this week, I swear, I’ve eaten nothing but lettuce and apples -sorta, (if you don’t count the sneaky spoon-full or two of lemon curd I licked off a spoon while no-one was looking -that was bound to happen, me being a lemon-lovin-fanatic ‘n all and it was just sittin there in the fridge lookin all bright yellow ‘n stuff, attracting my attention). I am only human after all. So, yeah….stop lookin’ at me that way!
Ok, whatever. Todaaay… I gave up sugar for a week. Again. But let’s be clear here and now, so there is no misunderstanding. I am not giving up small amounts of sugar or honey that may go into sauces. The dinner kind, of course. Like the kind I made tonight. The kind you pour over a Pecan Crusted Chicken Breast. The kind you want to eat with a spoon, then lick your plate clean-kind. The this-stuff-is-delicious-can-I-have-thirds-kind. Right-y ho then, nooow we’re clear…..
|Pecan Crusted Chicken with Peachy Honey Mustard Sauce|
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded to 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3/4 cups oil for frying
- 1 cup fresh or canned peaches. drained
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- pinch of curry powder
- 1-2 tablespoons snipped chives or green onion
- Stir together the pecans, bread crumbs, salt and pepper to taste, and 2 tablespoons of melted butter and spread onto a plate. Press the chicken breasts into the mixture to coat on both sides -you may want to press the crumbs into the chicken by hand. If you have time you can refrigerate them for 20 minutes to help the crumb coat stick to the chicken during frying. Heat oil in a large fry pan on medium heat. Fry the chicken pieces in the hot oil until they are nicely browned on each side and chicken is cooked through -about 10 minutes per side.
- In a small saucepan, on low heat, whisk together the Dijon mustard, honey, vinegar and curry powder til combined. Put peaches into a blender pour the mustard sauce over them. Blend until smooth or you can leave some chunks of peaches if you like. I use my trusty Abso-Fabso (absolutely fabulous) stick blender for this = easy clean-up. Tip the sauce back into the saucepan and warm through.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, sprinkle with chives or green onion and serve.
So you made lemon what for dessert?